Sunday, October 16, 2005

Creepy commercials!!

Is anyone else as skivved out as I am about these Charles Schwab commercials that are animated, only not? (Or live-action, only not, depending on your perspective?) I know it's reminiscent of what Richard Linklater did in his psuedo-cartoon Walking Life, but that was a feature film that was using that avant-garde form of animation to convey a mood. These are ... commercials about a brokerage firm. And, frankly, it's doing more to creep me out than attract me to "talk to Chuck." Though I'm not really looking to built a portfolio, being that I'm almost broke and all.

And while we're talking about weird TV ads, can we please get rid of that guy in the Burger King commercials with the big plastic king head? He reminds me of an escaped mental patient. The only thing scarier than that is that killer breakfast sandwich he's hawking, 500,000 calories and all.

And, yes, I know I haven't posted in, like, forever. I'm working on it, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Beth said...

Yeah, what's up with those Schwab commercials? Did they film actual people, then do some weird computer effect to make them look like they're animated, or did they hire an animator? And if that's the case, could they have ponied up a few more ducats and gotten someone with, oh, say, talent?!

And we've talked about the BK commercials: Speaking of animation, why can't they just use the cute little Burger King from my childhood? He wasn't scary. But Mr. Fiberglass Head ... *shudder!*